Sunday, May 23, 2010

Night Owl

So now here's a thought that might be a bit backwards, but then again it could be completely normal! I've just now discovered that I can write better when it's really late, sadly I don't get that opportunity too often. But anyways, I'm sure you've all noticed that I haven't had inspiration or an idea that flows well recently but I've had a creative writing assignment due for a little while and I'm pretty stoked about the fact that right now I'm writing and ideas are coming in surplus! Now I'm just focusing on 'showing' and wording my stuff correctly. Now the whole
'showing' business is proving to be a challenge because I naturally 'tell' things. To those of you who that doesn't make sense to I'll explain:
When you tell something you say "He gripped the steering wheel tightly." showing is saying "His knuckles were white against the steering wheel" it 'shows' that he is gripping the steering wheel tightly. Make sense? Now that may look as if for a writer it would just be natural to show everything, but there is a lot more to it, attempting to 'show' with everything you write is a challenge.
But at least my ideas are flowing right now, I'm thinking I'll go back and edit it later but tonight I need to get those ideas onto paper or they'll have vanished by the morning light!

6 comments:

  1. Showing is tough and one of the hardest things I've had to learn. I always seem to write best late at night as well. This not good if you have to get up early. Peace, Simon. Oh, I followed a link at Straight from Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Showing is so necessary, and sometimes difficult to do. But the writing shows less of the hand of the author that way, and draws the reader in. It can be fun, too, putting yourself into the role of the character!

    I clicked over from Helen's blog, enjoyed visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love when the ideas come in surplus!

    I'm more of an early bird than a night owl. If I write too close to bedtime, I have trouble putting my brain to sleep :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have trouble "showing" instead of "telling," you can work on it during one of your editing reads. Sometimes, writers just want to get the story down, then go back. But you do have to work on showing. As you say, it's essential to pull readers into the story. Good post! Thanks.

    On another note, I gave you the Sunshine Award today - http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/2010/05/let-sun-shine.html

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the tips! and i especially like the idea of going back and fixing that when i edit! because for me i just like getting my ideas on paper. and yes Simon it is most definitely bad when you have to get up early!
    Thank you all for checking out my blog, hopefully i'll get a few new followers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to write a lot at night, but that was before children and the need to be up early to take care of them. After so many years, I got in the habit of rising early, so I could no longer stay up half the night writing. I miss those days,though - the late night writing ones. I could write a whole short story in one night when the muse was there. Now I just fall asleep at my computer if I try to write at night. LOL

    ReplyDelete