Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Freedom Writer's

I recently saw the movie "Freedom Writer's" I have to say it's a powerful movie, it portrays courage, determination, change. These students that 'Mrs. G' (as the students called her) taught through all four years of their high school experience kept journals... every day they wrote about their lives. No matter if anyone reads them, they still left something behind to tell their story... the story of how troubled kids dealt with a difficult life and how a teacher helped. Towards the beginning of the movie she made the statement "I wanted to be a lawyer at first, but then I realized, if they are already in the court, the battle is lost. I believe the difference is made in the classroom." She changed those students, writing was the gift that brought the 150 students together. Words are a powerful thing, and I hope that one day with my novel (if that ever does work out) I'll make a difference. Their diaries made me think though... what am I leaving behind? How will I be remembered? That is up to me... and it's up to you to decide how you'll be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment